Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

My October Reading List

Details on my blog: fashionisevolution.blogspot.com

01. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson, 02. Dracula by Bram Stoker, 03. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, 4. Carrie by Stephen King, 05. The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike, 06. Coraline by Neil Gaiman, 07. The Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe


* * *


With my new position at work, I can listen to music, podcasts, and audiobooks all day. Since Ryan works in a medical lab, he's been listening to podcasts at work for years and I've always been jealous. Now that I finally have time consume all the auditory media I want, I've set myself an audiobook-listening project for October.

First, I thought I'd read and reread all the classic horror I can get my hands on. I've never read Dracula, nor have I read Frankenstein in full. While I've read a lot of Poe stories, I haven't read all of them, and there's also The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, an old favorite that I've wanted to revisit for a while now.

If I get through all of those and still have time, I'd like to read a few more-contemporary titles as well. But, if I can't fit them all in, there's always next year.

Is it strange that I don't like horror movies at all but I like classic pieces of horror fiction? I think it's all about the style of the writing; I have such an admiration for the writers on this list. Somehow they can make the horrible beautiful, and that's what makes gothic fiction so special I think.  

Do you like reading scary stories around Halloween? What are your favorites?


signature color

0 comments:

Post a Comment