Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Holiday recipe: Gingerbread with candied ginger and paper flags

Gingerbread styling idea
IMG_9368

This is not so much a recipe as it is a food serving and styling idea. The truth is that I made this gingerbread from a mix. I'm a big believer in from-scratch cooking, but gingerbread has a lot of ingredients (including molasses, which I will never use in anything else -- don't tell me to try in on biscuits. I've tried it on biscuits! I don't like molasses, okay? What are you, my mother?)

Sorry about that. Where was I? Oh yes, gingerbread has a lot of ingredients, and the mix tastes pretty darn good. So, if you're going to cut corners somewhere this holiday season, I find gingerbread mix to be a good place to do it. Cranberry sauce, on the other hand, should always be made from scratch, in my opinion, as it's ludicrously easy, and tastes much better than the canned kind. Recipe here

Gingerbread styling idea

So, my recipe serving suggestion is to spread your gingerbread with cream-cheese frosting and scatter chunks of candied ginger on top. Candied ginger is fancy and festive and looks so pretty. Plus those little chunks of spice add a whole new dimension to your gingerbread enjoyment. Then, if you so desire, add some hand-made toothpick flags. Lately, I've been obsessed with the whimsical look of tiny flags on food. See also: my Thanksgiving pies

Engagement party spread

Don't the little flags look so cute and make the party spread more festive and fun? Another hot tip: those cake stands are just plates set atop upturned bowls from the same set. 

Join me on: facebook // twitter // bloglovin // pinterest // instagram

0 comments:

Post a Comment