Bookish and Belle banner (without tabs) Outfits Recipes Crafts Home Wedding

Monday, October 22, 2012

What I wore today: 10/19/2012 (Pajama Game)

PJ Top Outfit: Victoria's Secret pajama top, polkadot AG jeans, black velvet loafers, studded-bottom bag

My tips for making the pajama-top-as-daywear trend look chic, not sloppy:

01. Pick a solid color or a simple pattern like stripes rather that a kooky pattern that's obviously designed for sleepwear.

02. Roll up the sleeves and tie the front or tuck it in. These little touches give the top a new shape and make you look pulled together, and not as if you just rolled out of bed.

03. Add jewelry. Like rolling your sleeves, or tying the front of your top, adding jewelry gives your look an air of thoughtfulness, which helps your outfit read "intentionally trying out a fun trend" rather than "slept through my alarm this morning."

04. Have fun with it. I paired my pajama top with velvet loafers that hint at the idea of smoking slippers. I don't want to look like I rolled out of bed, but I do want to take advantage of the glamourous, loungey feeling that my satin pajama top is bringing to the outfit party. After all, if I just wanted to look like I was wearing a plain top, I could just wear a plain top. But, as I'm wearing PJs, why not wink a bit and let my outfit have a sense of humor.  

Full disclosure: trying out new trends can be scary. I offer these tips in the hope that they can assuage some of your fears if you've been drawn to this trend but haven't had the confidence to take the plunge yet because you worried you might not be able to "pull it off." However, don't think that my giving advice means that I am in any way immune to the same insecurities as you. I wore this outfit to work and I was really nervous about it. Once I got to work, however, I got three compliments: two from people who realized it was a pajama top and one from someone who didn't. Their kind words reassured me.

Sometimes fashion is fun, and sometimes it's scary . . . and sometimes, like the best things in life (roller coasters, falling in love), it's a little of both. 

PJ Top Outfit: Victoria's Secret pajama top, polkadot AG jeans, black velvet loafers, studded-bottom bag
PJ Top Outfit: Victoria's Secret pajama top, polkadot AG jeans, black velvet loafers, studded-bottom bag
PJ Top Outfit: Victoria's Secret pajama top, polkadot AG jeans, black velvet loafers, studded-bottom bag
PJ Top Outfit: Victoria's Secret pajama top, polkadot AG jeans, black velvet loafers, studded-bottom bag

Satin pajama top - Victoria's secret
Polka-dot jeans - AG, Anthropologie
Velvet loafers - Urban Outfitters
Studded-bottom bag - eBay
Necklace - J.Crew Factory
Bracelets - Anthropologie, Asos, J.Crew
Diamond watch - Citizen

Join me on: facebook // twitter // bloglovin // pinterest // instagram

1 comment:

  1. Love the way you styled this top! I'd never have guessed it was meant to be PJs! I have been looking for a pair of pants that are PJ-inspired because I love the trend, but it's been hard to incorporate and find stuff that looks not-PJ enough to wear, you know?

    I think your tips can work with almost any trend, and they're great :)

    ReplyDelete